Saturday, January 17, 2009

Three Clowns in the Fountain

Bizarro is sponsored today by Dream Dates Internet Singles Service.

Again, in an effort to catch up on some of the cartoons I didn't post while I was away, here is an assortment of three that I liked from the past few weeks.

The subject of clowns is always a fertile valley of cartoon material. Like many people, I've been creeped out by clowns since I was a small child. I never thought they were funny, from my earliest memories they seemed to be strangers attempting to conceal their identity in a particularly conspicuous way. Even as a toddler, I felt that someone who willingly dressed and behaved in this manner in public must not be trusted.

I do like the more sophisticated, understated clowns one finds in shows like Cirque du Soleil, however. They are a different breed altogether from the average birthday party clown.

This next cartoon occured to me while contemplating New Year's celebrations. I like this angle because it isn't about the old man/baby with tophat, nor about resolutions, the two most popular new year topics in cartoons.

As I suspected, a few days later I heard from a man whose wife is a Jewish, Chinese-American and he wanted to get a print of this cartoon or buy the original, I can't remember which. I don't think I've answered his email yet, I'm so far behind I may never catch up. I'll get to it soon, I hope.

CHNW and I don't usually go out on New Year's Eve anymore because it is crowded, expensive, and loud. Plus, what, really, is there to celebrate? An arbitrary moment in time. Yay.

But this year we were invited by close friends to a 1920s Berlin-style cabaret show at a small venue in DUMBO. (A very cool part of Brooklyn not far from my place which stands for Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass and looks like this.) It was a fun evening and not too crowded, expensive, or loud. Everyone was encouraged to dress for the period, which was fun, too. Here are two shots from my iPhone, and some more from a better camera.


Lastly, I give you this take on Santa. Again, I like it because I managed to tap into a Santa idea that (to my knowledge) has not been done before. Considering the sheer volume of cartoons that have been published in our language, it is difficult to hit on original ideas and particularly satisfying to come up with a new angle on a well-worn cliche.

I've done a few "Santa in off-season" jokes, as has every other cartoonist, but I've not seen one about Santa before he was Santa. I'm sure there are some, I just hope nobody has done a witness protection program Santa gag before. If they have, I'm sure someone will post it in the comments section. (sigh)

Along the same lines, a reader emailed me to tell me that the knitting needles in this cartoon are upside down. She was right, of course. A cartoonist can't get away with anything these days.

Thanks for reading. You are my sunshine.

7 comments:

julie said...

"I never thought they were funny, from my earliest memories they seemed to be strangers attempting to conceal their identity in a particularly conspicuous way. Even as a toddler, I felt that someone who willingly dressed and behaved in this manner in public must not be trusted."

EXACTLY! That's how I've always felt. Clowns are NOT to be trusted.

Sounds like a really fun New Year's. Mike and I weren't planning to do anything this year, but our Filipino neighbor insisted we ring in the new year with them and 50 of their family and friends, and so we lit off a million fireworks, ate potluck food, and had a spectacular time.

munchy365 said...

proof that clowns can't be trusted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab_ie2rgcfI

Evelyn said...

I always have loved clowns-even the scary ones believe it or not. Here's what scares me- George Bush in the White House for eight years. Now we can breathe better. Just breathe in and out ....

That's better !
The Castle Lady
BTW- You should have something like 3,000 comments on here and 1 million 'friends'. ; )

Elena said...

I kind of like clowns...they are really coocoo...thats cool!

I have always seen knitting needles drawn that way, so don't be too hard on yourself, this crazy globalised world is to be blamed!

Jezzka said...

crap, i was just about to write something witty, but i just remembered rose from the syndicated called while you were in ha hee wee (hawaii)...i'll email you about it and let you mull it over.

Anonymous said...

These made my day, but I can't decide which one cracks me up the most. Thanks

TennYuk said...

hey, her needles aren't necessarily upside down

she could just be holding up the stocking to admire her handywork.