Friday, May 28, 2010

Androcles and the Text Message


Bizarro is brought to you today by Talking Laundry.

I'm sure a lot of readers don't remember the story of Androcles and the lion, or, if you went to an average American public school, never learned it, so here is a summary: A runaway slave removes a thorn from a lion's paw, then years later is not eaten by said lion because he remembered the favor.

Now, suddenly, the bartender joke becomes oh so poignant and humorous. Let us chuckle together, shall we?

The moral of the story is, if you want to be a super rich cartoonist, start drawing cartoons that anyone can immediately appreciate, even hillbillies. (Alas, will the parade of reasons I'm not rich never end?)

Here's one that any boob with a cell phone and a Facebook page can get. That includes just about ever boob in the country, including me. Let the riches begin!

8 comments:

Jake Friedman said...

This is Amazing!

Ellie said...

I thought he was tickling the bartenders foot. It makes a lot more sense now that I know it was the thorn. I always knew the story as a mouse and a lion.

FSM_Ed said...

Even Hillbillies? I think that's off the mark! Those boobies are the best Garfield strip I've ever seen!

Anonymous said...

We want you to run for Governor of California (seriously) with other cartoonists as per http://oxtogrind.org/archive/623 without having to be too serious about the whole shebang. Please contact The Ox at 831-688-8038 in Aptos, CA ASAP. Or email tosca.2010@yahoo.com.

Unknown said...

Speaking of Garfield, perhaps you'd consider incorporating this Hillbilly repellent palindrome in a strip: "Go hang a salami I'm a lasagna hog."

patrick said...

I went to public school (in California) and I got it!

Duckduck said...

I can't help but think, Would the bartender have eaten Androcles if he hadn't removed the thorn? I don't know if that image makes the cartoon work less for me, or work so much better.

ojeano said...

YOUR TIME WILL COME for the big happy money career. Since the Far Side has been gone, you've been the only funny cartoonist left. Eventually people will realize again that cartoons are supposed to be funny, not just line-y.