Monday, May 24, 2010

Gaga for Gaga












(To view Lady Gaga's family in expanded glory, click on her belt buckle.)

Bizarro is brought to you today by Shrinking Violets.

If you don't know who Lady Gaga is you won't understand this cartoon. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm not sure why I know who Lady Gaga is, I'm not a fan, but I do and I saw an opportunity for a fun cartoon so I took it. In my career, I'm sort of required to know about relatively unsatisfying pop trends in the same way that I'm required to understand and use Facebook and Twitter. It's not necessarily how I prefer to spend my time, but it's part of my job.

Here's a bit of groovy news about my good friend and valued colleague, Wayno: he has an online art exhibit going that you might want to peruse. This is not a show of his single-panel cartoons, the ideas for which he occasionally shares with me for Bizarro, but some of his musician portraits. Check it out and buy some prints for your own bare nekked walls. It feels good to support the Friends of Bizarro and it might help Wayno move from his current domicile to a permanent abode.

And here's one last bit of dynamic news: I've been declared an American treasure and recommended for a Kennedy Center Honor! OMG, can this really be happening? Please leave a comment, so mine won't be so lonely.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

I still prefer A Flock of Seagulls :-)

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!

Tegin said...

Is it true that Uncle Tutu is the living image of the cartoon's author?

shane said...

As a man who uses music as social lubricant, I enjoy the Lady Ga Ga and her list of pop hits. Her tunes do wonders to get the girlies all hot and bothered. Which is quite fascinating to me, as the Lady herself is an advocate of celibacy.

Such a waste of talent, then, IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Well, you ARE an American Treasure. Just don't try to sing at the DAR luncheon.

"Kathy Fain" said...

Of course it can really be happening. Being treasured by Americans makes you an American treasure. I'm an American, and you are certainly a treasure to me! Congratulations! (Oh, and loved the Lady Gag-Gag cartoon!)

Unknown said...

Congrats!!

Lois2037 said...

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

sorry thats not even close to being funny

Neil J Murphy said...

I don't know about the Kennedy Center, but I do know that you're up for the Reuben Award this year, along with the guy you gave a sly shout-out to in this panel.

Good luck to you and Richard Thompson and Stephen Pastis this weekend. I wish there was a way you could all win.

Unknown said...

Of course, Baby Uh-Oh is a portent of doom.

http://www.gocomics.com/culdesac/2008/07/21/

Prospero said...

As an actual fan of Lady Gaga (her music is fun and her personal message of acceptance is rather inspiring), I imagine she would be thrilled with this cartoon. Never one to take her image seriously, Gaga's commitment LGBT rights is one of the many things her fans love about her. While I may not fit her usual fan demographic, I'm just a club kid at heart and a good dance song will always catch my ear and make my legs want to move.

Amber Avines said...

I already knew you were a national treasure; I'm glad to hear everyone else knows it, too!

Congrats and keep up the great work! And, of course, thanks for all you do for the animals. ^..^

Amber

spyra said...

Hi Dan,

I know how much you love the baggy pants trend... I hope you enjoy this pic :)

http://failblog.org/2010/05/24/epic-fail-photos-pants-fail-3/

greg oakes said...

nice one dan; i adore the baby w/ scissors, and granny & uncle are priceless!! ;) lol... this lady gaga thing reminds me of that britney spears toon we collaborated on way back when. *sigh* good times... good times. lol

ojeano said...

I really love this one!

I made my comment on the page linked and I meant it!

Congratulations!

I don't know what the deal is with lady gaga, but I guess she's innocuous enough... why do I always suspect she's a dude?

for your pleasure radio said...

Congratulations Dan on your nomination for the Kennedy Center Honour - well deserved !

Unknown said...

It's because you can dance, right?

Anonymous said...

in lady gaga's hat is a dynamite!! and in the uncle tutu says k2!!! OMG nd in the mommy muumuuu is an eyeball!!!